You are welcome to Arts & Culture Place! Your One-Stop Arts & Culture Destination. For Advert Placements, Exhibition Promotions, Book Review or Interviews, send an email to: artsandcultureplace@yahoo.com!

I try by all means to satisfy myself- metal sculptor


Fidelis Eze Odogwu is one of the most gifted sculptors in Nigeria today. He was born in Agbor, Delta State, and completed his Higher National Diploma (HND) in Sculpture from Auchi Polytechnic in 1991. He is a full-time studio artist and was mentored by one of Nigeria's most renowned sculptors, Ben Osawe, with whom he worked from 1988-1989. 

His mindset when producing an art work: “I try by all means to satisfy myself. And because I am a universal artist, I work on universal concepts. The things around me influence me; the things outside Lagos State would also influence me because we live in a global village today. So I would satisfy myself. I would make sure that those elements of art are in my work. I must make sure that my work is beautiful and I am satisfied with it.

“I as an artist, I really do not want to bother myself with who would buy the works, because that is a secondary concern. Mine is to conceive a very good idea, put that message across, let people see what you have done and let them be part of it. If I am selective about the kind of people I work for, then I would be sandwiched. I would feel ‘packaged’. I would not think outside the box. I don't really want to bother myself with who would buy the works. I satisfy myself with my work. I just do my work.”

Odogwu has participated in numerous local and international art auctions and group exhibitions, the most recent being ' Transcending Boundaries', which took place at The Curator on Cork Street, London  this year. He has had one solo exhibition and is a member of the Society of Nigerian Artists (SNA), The Guild of Professional Fine Artists of Nigeria (GFA), and Universal Studios of Art (USA) in Lagos, Nigeria.

''I wish every man would only look within himself. Water, air, plants, earth, fire, and events happening around me are major tools and inspirations that shape my ideas. We should not forget that the world is a global village in which we all live; the things happening across the world are at everyone's finger tips as soon as they occur,''  the artist asserted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment